Divorce FAQs - Family Court Direct
family court direct min new 1

Get More Information
(888) 274 1440

Family law can be complicated.
We’re here to help

Experienced, Reliable and Effective

We Can Help You!

You qualify for an evaluation
Simply Fill out the form below to get your evaluation form one of our case coordinates
Please choose a username.
Please choose a username.
Please choose a username.

Please choose a username.

Safe, Secure and No Obligation

Consent: By clicking “Get Legal Help”, I am providing my express written consent to receive auto dialed and/or pre-recorded telemarketing calls and/or text messages from Family Court Direct and/or our partners in order to solicit, facilitate, and complete transactions and/or service offerings at the telephone number I provided. I give my consent to be called even if my number appears on any state, federal or corporate Do Not Call registry, and I understand that consent is not required to purchase goods or services and that message & data rates may apply.

Divorce FAQs

Where should I file for divorce?

You must file for divorce in the state where you are currently considered a resident. Each state has its own residency requirements that you must fulfill, including length of time residing in the state, and other actions including employment or purchase of property.  If you do not qualify as a resident of the state in which you are currently living but need orders regarding custody, visitation, support or division of assets and debts, you may be able to file for a legal separation and then later amend the paperwork to a divorce once you meet your state’s residency requirements.

Can I cancel my divorce?

If you are the spouse who filed for divorce, you may be able to request that the court dismiss your case without prejudice. If you are not the original petition in the case, you may not be able to request a termination of divorce proceedings and may instead need to request that the other spouse file for a dismissal.  If you are both in agreement regarding cancellation of your divorce proceedings, some states will allow you to file a request for dismissal as well.

Do I qualify for an annulment?

The courts tend to recognize fraud, incest, and bigamy when determining whether an annulment action is appropriate.  If one of the parties was underage or of unsound mind, the courts may also allow for the parties to proceed with an annulment. Physical incapacity and marriage by force are two other situations where the courts recognize annulment as the correct action for a dissolution of marriage.  In order for the court to grant an annulment, the moving party must prove one of the circumstances recognized by the court as a valid basis for an annulment.

How do is spousal support taxed?

Usually, spousal support is considered taxable income for the receiving spouse and the spouse paying may list spousal support as a tax deduction.

How do I end spousal support?

If your spousal support order has an end date, then no further action is required by the spouse responsible for paying spousal support once the last payment date has passed. If your wages are being garnished, you will need to prepare new paperwork to ensure that no additional funds are removed from your paycheck. If your financial circumstances, or the financial circumstances of your spouse, have dramatically changed since the initial spousal support order, you may be able to request a modification or termination of your spousal support.