Family law can be complicated.
We’re here to help

Experienced, Reliable and Effective

Responding to a Request for Child Support

If the other parent requests that you pay child support, you will receive a notice for the court stating the amount due and the due date.  In some cases, the court may order child support even if there has been no request filed by the other parent if the child is in protective custody, foster care, or the court determines during a review of the case facts and findings that the minor child or children need additional financial support.  If you and the other parent have an agreement or stipulation for child support, the court may follow that agreement or make new orders depending on what the court determines is in the best interest for the child.

If you receive a Summons or a Notice of Hearing regarding child support, it is important that you file a response within the deadline indicated on the paperwork you receive from the court.  If you fail to appear or file a response, the court may order child support in absentia, and you will be legally bound to pay the amount ordered by the due date or face penalties and further sanction from the court.  In some cases, you can respond to child support requests as part of your response to a divorce or paternity petition, or if you are responding to a Domestic Violence Restraining Order.  In all cases, it is important that you file the correct paperwork in a timely fashion in order to avoid a default judgment filed by the court in your absence.