Child Support Legal Aid - Family Court Direct

How Do You Apply for Legal Aid Child Support?

Affordable Family Legal
Help Starts Here

Facing a child support dispute can be a stressful experience. At Family Court Direct, we offer reliable, low-cost child support and family law legal services throughout the United States to help make the process easier. 

The services described by this website may only be available in certain states as applicable by law.

What Are the Options for Leading Child Support Legal Aid Providers?

To obtain adequate child support or to enforce or modify an existing order of support, you often need the assistance of a professional child support attorney. However, hiring a skilled attorney might be difficult for people with limited resources.

The good news is that there are many alternatives to getting expensive representation in court. For instance, many states in the US offer free legal aid to low-income families with child support problems. However, legal aid is only available to specific individuals. 

This is where our services come in. 

At Family Court Direct, our network provides affordable legal services to families needing assistance with child support matters. Whether you need to establish a new child support order or modify an existing one, our network of experienced professionals is here to help.

If you wish to learn more about child support or need legal help concerning your children, contact Family Court Direct at 888-826-0324 for a case evaluation.

Affordable Child Custody Services

Almost everyone entering into a child custody or child support agreement is looking to establish legal parameters that ensure their child is well taken care of and both parents can exist in peace. 

Whether you are on the paying or receiving end of child support orders, Family Court Direct has several services available for parents and guardians. 

Our network of legal professionals are available to speak with you, explain the necessary steps and documents, and assist you in making the system work for you within the legal parameters. 

Depending on your unique circumstances, you may require assistance with services such as:

  • Requesting a New Child Support Order
  • Requesting changes to a Child Support Order (For instance, if the payor parent cannot afford the payments due to changes in circumstances or if the child’s expenses have increased)
  • Enforcing a Current Child Support Order
  • Responding to a Request for Child Support

We are a national legal access plan that partners with a nationwide network of independent legal document professionals dedicated to families needing an affordable alternative to hiring a family lawyer. 

Get an evaluation of your case by contacting us — it’s time to fight for your rights and those of your children.

The Basics of Child Support

Child support refers to the money paid by one parent to the other parent to help cover the costs of raising a child. Typically, the “payor parent” is the parent that spends less time with the kids or if they spend the same amount of time with the kids but earn more money than the other parent.

If the mother or father of your child or children is required to pay child support under a court order and fails to do so, your local child support enforcement office can assist in collecting the support payments.

Depending on state law, a parent who fails to pay child support per a court judgment may be held in contempt of court and face a jail sentence. Other penalties, such as wage garnishment, suspension of driver’s license, or revocation of their passport, may be enforced. 

Alternatively, you can ask the court to garnish or withhold a portion of your salary for child support. Garnishment requires a court order and is only permitted if a child support family order exists.

A parent can be a birth/non-birth parent, an adoptive parent, or a stepparent, in which case they have functioned as the child’s parent. If there is a disagreement about who is a parent, evidence such as the child’s birth certificate, marriage certificate, adoption certificate, or anything else that demonstrates the other party has acted as a parent to the child can be submitted to the court to support your case.

Even if the parents do not live with the children or do not visit the children, they may have to pay child support.

Child support obligation is typically paid for dependent children, children under the age of 18, or children above 18 who are not independent due to being in school full-time or having a disability that prevents them from becoming independent.

The amount paid for child support is usually determined by child support guidelines, a collection of criteria, and tables for estimating the amount of child support that a paying parent should pay. 

Parents’ access to their children cannot be prohibited because they do not pay child support. In addition, even if a parent does not have access, they may be required to pay child support.

What is Legal Aid?

The term “legal aid” refers to professional legal assistance provided to people in need, either free of charge or for a nominal fee. Usually, the cases handled are not criminal issues; instead, civil legal aid assists people in obtaining basic necessities such as government benefits, health care, housing, employment, and like, in this case, child care services.

Legal aid is usually offered by nonprofit legal aid organizations, “pro bono” volunteers, court-based services, etc.  Family Court Direct does not offer Legal Aid.  

How to Get Child Support Legal Aid

The aim of legal aid is to allow everyone access to the right to counsel, equality before the law, and the right to a fair trial. Just as public defenders exist to represent defendants in criminal cases who cannot afford an attorney, legal aid aims to provide legal help for people in civil cases who cannot afford lawyers. 

Irrespective of that, not everyone qualifies for legal aid. 

Your eligibility for free legal aid is determined by many factors. This includes your income, location, family situation, and type of legal matter. Your status as a veteran or a person with a disability can also affect whether you qualify for legal aid in some cases.

Also, individual legal aid agencies do not cover the same area of law. So, you must find an agency that covers your particular legal issue.

The reason such requirements for accessing legal aid exist is because most agencies that offer legal aid have limited staff and resources to cover all their requests. They often simply cannot manage the number of requests they receive, so they must put restrictions in place in order to help people who truly need help the most.  

Generally speaking, to qualify for legal aid child support services, you must meet at least one of these conditions:

  • You are poor or needy by definition of a court. However, the specific qualifications for court-appointed counsel vary significantly by state and, in some cases, between different courts within the same state.
  • You are a veteran who is disabled. 
  • You might be eligible for free legal aid from organizations if you are a victim of domestic violence, or your safety is a matter of concern. These organizations can assist you in gathering evidence of abuse and filing for restraining orders, among other things.
  • If your household income is less than a certain percentage of the national average. Most legal aid clinics and pro bono attorneys serve people whose household income is less than 125% of the federally recognized poverty level. Alaska and Hawaii are the exceptions, as they have higher income eligibility thresholds.
  • Several legal services programs offer free legal aid to low-income clients who are living with HIV or AIDS. Help may be available for various issues such as estate planning, employment or housing discrimination, insurance issues, family law questions, and more.
  • You are currently receiving financial assistance through other programs. Suppose you are currently receiving financial aid from other public assistance programs, such as SSI/SSP, Food Stamps, County Relief, the Older Americans Act, or the Developmentally Disabled Assistance Act. In that case, you may be eligible to also receive free legal services in your state.

If you do not meet these requirements, don’t worry; there are other low-cost alternatives. These alternatives include representing yourself “pro se” in family court, or you can get help from Family Court Direct.

How Can Family Court Direct Help With a Child Support Order?

One of our independent legal professionals near you can offer legal document preparation help to ensure you are adequately prepared for your case. 

They can provide the following legal services, among others:

  • Drafting documents
  • Preparing for your court appearance
  • Providing a final review of already-prepared papers to ensure accuracy

These can be excellent options for low-income individuals who need minimal assistance with a specific aspect of their case. Additionally, depending on your needs and budget, we offer limited scope and full representation from our trusted network of family law attorneys who may be able to work directly with you for the duration of your case.

Request an Evaluation Today

Legal problems can arise at any moment, and when it comes to the well-being of your family, any wrong move can have devastating effects. Having the right professional assisting you with your legal issue can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.

Call Family Court Direct at 888-826-0324 if you are dealing with child support disputes, custody, divorce, visitation rights, or emergency orders for domestic violence, and see if you qualify for one of our services. From there, a legal professional can help you lay the groundwork for a better and brighter future.